The duplicate special would enable me to work on a single side of the model and every action I performed would be mirrored which would save time.
Before I began modeling I had messed up the image plains. I think some how I had linked the polygon to the image plain. so as I zoomed in to the polygon the image plain would disappear.
I figured out the problem I just began again and followed the steps this time it worked the image plains were locked and the polygon was behaving normally.
I began shaping the Torso navigating between the different perspectives, I usually match the model up with the front image and then side, while also checking the perspective mode. No problems so far. I had previously messed around with vertices while attempting to model a face so i understood in basic terms how they worked through the xyz axis.
I selected the two faces on the bottom left and right side of the torso then extruded them to make the basis of the thigh.
I then extruded the face down to the foot, each time I extruded a knew edge and set of vertices were created. I used the side and front shot to align the model with the image plain. I further extruded the faces to make the basic feet.
Inserted two extra edge loops in the chest, Edge loops allows you to add further shape to your model, it also wraps around the whole model unlike split polygon tool.
Using the faces again I extruded to create the arms, The angle was wrong so I altered the vertices. maybe I should have used the rotate tool instead of the vertices but I'm more comfortable doing it like that.
Extending the arm by extruding and matching it up with the reference.
Here is were I ran into some problems, the book explained the way in which the arm twists which it naturally does, however I couldn't quite match my arm model with the book reference. I tried my best but felt this wasn't quite right. I spend ages thinking what was wrong in the end I manipulated the vertices but still feel it wasn't the correct way to do it. I added in extra edge loops to form the fingers and to add more detail to the arm.
Creating more split polygons I was able to extrude the fingers. To the largest knuckle to the smallest. I could tell something had gone wrong the hand looked slightly like my reference but it wasn't perfect and I will have to go back to this at a later stage. I scaled down the face at the end of the finger to gain the right proportion.
Following the book I selected a single face and extruded it until it made a thumb. I could tell that it wasn't quite right but wanted to carry on and return to the mistakes after more progress had been made. I did try for a while to sort it out and didn't want to waste loads of time being stuck.
The basic form was complete.
Extruding the face to create the neck obviously the size was to big, when I tried scaling it down the vertices would tear along the centre where the modle split and was mirrored. I resolved this problem after quite a while. I had to click on the vertices and push them along the x axis this worked out with out any tearing.
I then thought everything was ok until I noticed a big split in the head.
I resolved this by redoing the head neck and head when i clicked the cicle on the x,y,x axis it altered the angle so when i extruded the faces which made the head. It would extrude directly up instead of an angle and this caused the head not to split.
The character was taking shape.
Referring to the book and my image reference I made the head look more like the characters adjusting the vertices by pulling them back wards and forwards.
I then began creating more edge loops to give the character a more organic shape, I was reminded to shape the vertices after adding them.
I had pushed the vertices in from the central line down the body, I may have cut in a bit to deep as the definition was a bit much. One thing I need to learn with modeling is how to evenly adjust the vertices.
This screen shot show how I have pushed in and out the vertices to form the back.
When I was trying to make the character more organic and less square I started to ignore the image reference. When I refereed to the image plain, I realised my shape was quite wrong I then adjusted it back to the reference image. By adjusting the vertices.
I had inserted a lot more edge loops and adjusted them to the image.
The legs still needed work but I tried to make them fit round the leg more. I also tried to adjust the vertices around the crotch as sown in the book.
I rushed of a head and tried to shape the gluteus maximus, but later discovered I was meant to pull out the faces. I need tow ork on this further to correct the shape.
The character more developed.
back ond body more defined.
Character so far.